Silbodal church

Silbodal's church, which belongs to the handful of churches in the county that are completely unorthodox oriented in the north-south direction consists of a rectangular longhouse with narrower, three-sided chancels in the south and towers in the north.

Built in 1858-59 after drawings by architect C G Blom-Carlsson. The new church was preceded by a timbered cross-church from the 17th century, located about 200 m southeast of the present church site. There is probably also a medieval church here. The architect of the church was C G Blom-Carlsson.

The exterior of the church is well-preserved and a typical example of the more established neoclassicalism that became evident shortly after the middle of the 19th century. The exterior walls are articulated by corner pilasters and a strong console ceiling. The west tower is crowned by a high lantern with a spire surrounded by small corner turrets.

The church room has undergone several major changes in connection with restorations during the 20th century. The baptismal font, which is one of the oldest objects in the church, is probably from the early Middle Ages. The altar sculpture and the wooden window reliefs of the choir window are made by artist Gunnar Torhamn.

Silbodal cemetery

The oldest part of Silbodal’s cemetery was inaugurated at the same time as the church on August 28, 1859. In the 1990s a new cemetery facility was built which is located north of the church on the other side of the former railway.

In 1995 and 1997 a burial chapel was built with a mortuary north of the church. The drawings were made by architect Marianne Åstedt. The courthouse has room for 6 chests in a modern facility.

At the foot of Kyrkåsen just at the end of lake Västra Silen was an old wooden church from 1664. This church was demolished in 1859 due to its poor condition. The site lay deserted for eight decades until 1939, when it was finally put in a reasonably dignified state. Today it is a very beautiful memorial grove and the gravel formation in the middle shows the shape and size of the former church.

Text from svenskakyrkan.se

Contact

Storgatan
67231, Årjäng